Contrary to popular belief, not every cream, lotion, or potion we put on our faces is created equal. So many of these products include harsh ingredients and toxic chemicals that can cause various reactions, especially for those with sensitive skin. As an alternative, many people are turning to natural and organic products to create a natural skincare routine. Natural skin care includes wallet-friendly treatments that will make your skin glow naturally.
For a natural skincare routine, consider following to various dos and don’ts:
1. Tips to follow for effective natural skin care
As part of your natural skin care routine to improve skin health, the following tips should be followed:
- Consume a balanced diet with a proper blend of nutrients, including fruits and vegetables as nutrients enhance skin health and promote a healthy complexion. Also, include food rich in antioxidants in your diet. Foods that have beta-carotene and vitamins like A, C, and E are also good for your skin. Some foods that promote skin health are bell peppers, tomato, fatty fish, broccoli, walnuts, and avocados.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking an adequate amount of water. On average, 1.5 to 2 liters of water must be consumed every day to stay hydrated. Proper hydration by drinking water and other fluids promotes skin health, and it also helps flush out toxins from your body that could otherwise harm your skin.
- Ensure that you have a healthy sleeping pattern if you want healthy skin. Getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep every day rejuvenates the skin, allowing new cells to grow and repair skin damage. Lack of sleep can affect skin health, along with overall health.
- Regular exercise of at least 150 minutes is needed every week and is an effective natural skin care tip for glowing skin. It is not necessary to go to the gym, a brisk walk of 30 minutes for 5 days a week is also sufficient exercise.
- Another natural skin care tip is to exfoliate the skin to remove dead and damaged skin so that new and healthy skin can grow. You can use a natural exfoliator like walnut paste mixed with yogurt.
- Use natural and organic skin care products and avoid products containing chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate, paraben, polyethylene, and such.
2. Tips to follow for effective natural skin care
The following things should be avoided to ensure optimal skin health:
- Don’t wear makeup when you go to bed as makeup on your skin can lead to the pores being clogged. Always wash your face if you have used makeup before you go to bed.
- Avoid or limit alcohol consumption. It is not good for skin health as it can dehydrate your skin and make it lose its natural fresh and healthy look.
- Avoid smoking as it rids the skin of nutrients and can destroy collagen, making your skin lose its elasticity.
- Avoid taking hot showers as they dehydrate your skin quickly and also remove natural oils, leading to dry and itchy skin. Instead, take warm showers and avoid taking more than two showers a day.
- Stress produces hormones that can affect your skin and make it oily, so reduce stress by practicing breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation.